;there's an answer
Monday, June 19, 2006

"If you think you are too small to make a difference you've never been in bed with a mosquito."
~Bette Reese



I'm back from famine camp and I'm glad to say that I definitely came home learning something new. The 30 hour famine wasn't terribly difficult or more like wasn't as difficult as I had imagined.

DAY ONE* was about reuniting with my "family" after a disaster. Each of us were given a NEW identity and an identity card.

My name was Sodnomjamts Pomo and I was a daughter in the family. My family had 12 other people and sadly, I had AIDS. Out of all the 700+ people there, there were only 8 who were infected, and me being eve so lucky, had to be one of them! So I had to wear this big sign around.

Terribly embarrassing but it was all for the experience and fun and the material was really nice. It was canvas! Anyway, I soon was found by my family and after walking from evacuation centre to evacuation centre, we recovered everyone and that was the end of day one.
(*Each day lasts for about 2 hours)

DAY TWO was about earning money to build a shelter. A rather interesting procedure I must say. Our family was given $13 dollars (money was ice-cream sticks) from the government. We then had to go around looking for jobs to earn money. There was bead picking, bean sorting, prostitution, scavenging and crane folding. All of the jobs were equally tedious and they hardly gave us any money. After acquiring as much money as we could, we headed off to buy our materials for our shelter. My "mother" had to cut her hair (at the black market) just to get a few mroe dollars! So we used up all our money and other means to get our materials for the shelter.

DAY THREE was about earning money. Yes, it still was very difficult and our "family" only managed to make $16 out of the expected $65.

That was about it for the activities on the 17th. The 18th was doing collecting newspaper and old clothes at Tampines. After that, headed back to SAJC and cleaned up the campus. Had a concert during the 29th hour and finally it was BREAK FAST!

The camp was certainly a new experience for me as before the camp I can assure you that I only went without food for the maximum of 4 hours. The aware-ness on how the less fortunate are suffering will definitely stay with me.

--

Magdalene

9:10 PM;

N &HER

`Magdalene Claire Lim

`ultra-busy
`fickle minded
`fantastic at wasting time
`chocolate lover!
`talkative
`scatterbrain
`hiccup-hater
`loud hailer

email


SINCE MAY 2006

N &LINKS

% ARC
% 2/3 '05
% 4/3 '07
% SCC YOUTH!
% Photoblog!
% My JOHARI!
% My NOHARI!
% Briana
% Cathy
% Carmen
% Charlene
% Clara
% Daphne
% David
% Debby
% Delle
% Felicia
% Gillian Lim
% Gillian Pestana
% Geraldine
% Gervin
% Gloria
% Jaime
% Jessica
% Julienne
% Lyn
% Mark
% Matthew
% Michelle
% Olivia
% Rachel-sis
% Roystance
% Sam B.
% Sammie
% Shirin
% Stacey
% Tessa
% Valerie-sis
% Valerie Tan
% Zong Ling




N &Dates

25062007
Start of SCHOOL. :/
29062007
Start of GCE 'O' Level Chinese Oral
30062007
Dad & Rachel jie's Birthday!
02072007
Joshua's 17th Birthday!
03072007
Mummy comes home!
07072007
Release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!
12072007
MY BIRTHDAY! & End of GCE 'O' Level Chinese Oral
13072007
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix opens!

N &DISCUSSIONS



N &CREDITS

Layout
RAHH;{/designer}
CACP.CSGBB.MASEXY.JENKINS2.0.{/font}





Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.comGet awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.comGet awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com